Texas & Louisiana State Supplements
The JLM is proud to offer, for the first time, a Louisiana State Supplement to the 11th Edition of the JLM. The Louisiana State Supplement is available for purchase using our standard order form and online, below.
Additional State Supplements
The JLM is currently working on publishing additional state supplements, which will be made available as they are completed. Stay posted for more information about additional state supplements and expected publication dates!
Louisiana State Supplement
A Jailhouse Lawyer’s Manual is written and updated by members of the Columbia Human Rights Law Review. The law prohibits us from providing any legal advice to prisoners. The information is not intended as legal advice or representation nor should you consider it as such. Additionally, your use of the JLM should not be construed as creating an attorney-client relationship with the JLM staff or anyone at Columbia Law School. We have attempted to provide information that is up to date and useful. However, because the law changes frequently, we cannot guarantee that this information is current or correct.
To view PDFs of the Louisiana State Supplement, please click on the chapter titles in the Table of Contents below.
If you are printing chapters of the JLM for use by someone other than yourself, please include the title page and legal disclaimer, which can be accessed in PDF form by clicking on the blue, “Title Page & Legal Disclaimer” link below.
- Your Right to Information
- Appealing Your Conviction
- Appealing Your Conviction Based on Ineffective Assistance of Counsel
- Using Post-Conviction DNA Testing to Attack Your Conviction
- Habeas Corpus
- How to Protect Your Rights
- Your Right to Be Free from Assault by Prison Guards and Others
- Louisiana State Liberties
- Inmate Grievance Procedures in Louisiana
- The State’s Duty to Protect You and Your Property: Tort Actions
- Prison Disciplinary Hearings
- Security Classifications
- Your Right to Private Communications
- Your Right to Adequate Medical Care
- Religious Freedom in Prison
- Special Issues for Prisoners with Mental Illness
- Special Considerations for Sex Offenders
- Rights of Incarcerated Parents
- Temporary Release
- Getting Out Early – Conditional and Early Release
- Reentry Assistance
- Infectious Diseases (HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis, Hepatitis and MRSA in Prison)
- Your Right to be Free from Illegal Body Searches
- Rights of Juveniles